MUNICIPALITY OF PLOVDIV
REGIONAL ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM – PLOVDIV
PLOVDIV CARTOONISTS’ ASSOCIATION
Subject: THE ALCOHOL AND NATIONS
(The subject has as many variations as the nations in the world. For example, the Bulgarians and rakia, the Scotsmen and whisky, the Russians and vodka,etc.)*
1. The Biennial for Caricature is open to professional and amateur caricaturists from all over the world;
2. Each participant should send up at least one piece of work 210/297 (A4 format)
3. The caricatures may be colorful or black-and-white;
4. Participants should send their caricatures by 31 July 2009;
5. It is advisable that together with their caricatures, participants also send a photograph or take-off and CV
6. An international jury will nominate 5 caricaturists who will be conferred the title Master of Caricature;
7. Prize caricatures are not sent back;
8. The rest of the caricatures will be sent back if authors state that in written form;
9. The Catalogue of the exhibition will be given free of charge to participants whose caricatures are included in the Catalogue.
Time and venue: on 1 October 2009, at 18.00 p.m.
of the Regional Ethnographic Museum.
Submission deadline: 31 July 2009 (mail date)
Address for submissions:
Regional Ethnographic Museum
2, Dr. Chomakov St.
Caricature is a conception of the world,
Social position, view of life. It is a human presence,
A peculiar expression of its socially committed author.
Implying signs of serious thinking,
It reflects the essence of movement towards the future.
(after Stefan Fartunov)
* There are lots of nations all over the world having their own favorite alcohol drink which helps them identify to the rest of the world. This special drink has a reserved place among the traditions and rituals of the community, in people’s working days and holidays, in their traditional beliefs and notions. In all cases there is only one intoxicate substance-ethanol (no matter if it is rakia, palinka, tsuika, schnapps, sake, ouzo, cognac, whisky, vodka, gin, rum, tequila, etc.) and only one biological kind (Homo sapiens), but the result is such a big variety of manners.
Can masters of caricature from different parts of the world join in the cross-cultural research on the alcohol?
We are looking forward to your offers.
Phone: ++ 359 32 626328; ++ 359 32 625257
The Nominated works will be kept in Works of Fine Art Stock of the Ethnographic Museum, Plovdiv