Theme: Are we going to burn or freeze?
Aim: Our world is getting polluted rapidly from many sides for the last two hundred years. The gases comes out of the factories' and houses' chimneys and of the exhaust of the motor vehicles -having increased rapidly after the Industrial Revolution -are causing the climate changes which have never seen before since the Ice Age, which was millions of years ago. The regression of gradually melting glacier to the polars and the loss of ice cap, on high mountains, the rise of sea level, the migration of plant & fish species, the decrease in the number of bird species because of the air pollution, the rapid growth of the annual rings in trees are, of course, the indicators of rapidly warming in the earth.
However, the meteorologists are talking about the probability of shutdown of the Gulf Stream warm water current, which is transporting the warm sea water from the equator to the western Europe, because of the melting of the North Pole glaciers; and finally, the possibility of a new ice age in Northwest Europe at the end. In other words, the global warming can bring our world to a new ice age at the end. It is uncertain/indefinite whether we're going to burn or freeze as a result of the global climate change.
Arranging the second cartoon competition, Corum Journalists' Association aims to reflect the effects of the global climate change on natural world under the title of "Are we going to burn or freeze?" with the universal language of cartoons.
I invite all cartoon artists to our competition and wish success to all of them.
The conditions of entry:
1. The competition is open to all-amateur and professional- cartoonists (from all over the world).
2. The technique is free.
3. Size: Minimum - A4 (297x210mm), maximum A3 (420x297mm)
4. Each participant may access in the competition with the most five original cartoons.
5. At least six lettered nickname should be written on the back of the work with a pen.
6. Each participant should fill in the participation form. The form and the works should be put in the same envelope.
The participation forms will occasionally be broadcast in Corum's local media/journals.
(The participationts out of гorum can get the participation forms by e-mail: email@example.com + cgcd.org)
7. Deadline for the entries is April 8th 2008.
Corum Journalists' Association will not be responsible for the damage that may occur during the postage.
8. The Works, send for the competition, should not have been awarded in any other competition before.
The Works must be in original and unwritten.
Photocopies and the computerized works (digital images) will not be accepted.
9. If more than one work of a participant's get the prizes, the Grand prize will be given to that cartoonist and the selective community will evaluate the other works for other prizes.
10. The Works, sent for the competition will be kept in Corum Journalists' Association's archieve. They may be used -when necessary- as album, catalogue, brochure, CD or poster. So the cartoons will not be sent back to the artist.
First Prize: 1000 YTL
Second Prize: 800 YTL
Third Prize: 600 YTL
Mention: 300 YTL
Mention: 300 YTL
Mention: 300 YTL
The special prizes (which will be given) from several foundations and firms will be attached later.
12. The Municipality of Corum will cover the bus travelling and accomodation expenses of the prize winning cartoonists from all cities of Turkey to Corum (for the award ceremony)
13. The works -sent to the competition- shouldn't hurt any religion, race, sectarian or group (in any way).
14. The results of the competition will be announced by Corum Journalists' Association and Cartoonist Association.
Address for sending cartoons:
Karikaturculer Dernegi Corum Temsilciligi
Corum Gazeteciler Cemiyeti
Turgut Ozal Is Merkezi Kat: 1 No: 81 CORUM / TURKEY
Tel: 0 364 213 75 15-224 24 00
Association's web address: http://www.cgcd.org/yarismalar.asp
1. Karikatur Dernegi Yonetim Kurulu Temsilcisi
The representative of the Cartoonist Association's administrative body/council
2. Eray Ozbek (Cartoonist)
3. Kamil Yavuz (Cartoonist)
4. Tayyar Ozkan (Cartoonist)
5. E. Yasar Babalik (Cartoonist)
6. Ugur Pamuk (Cartoonist)
7. Sonmez Yanardag (Corum Representative of the Cartoonist Association)
8. Nilgun Cevik (Artist)
9. Koray Senyuva (Cartographer)
10. Kezban Toktas
11. Sumeyra Cagdas (Reporter)